Saturday, February 18, 2017

Creating an Online Store

It is almost impossible to find a business that does not sell its products or services online. The internet has opened the world to everyone who wants to sell new, used, or not yet created products.

So many options it is hard to decide.

I have to admit I do not know a lot about creating websites. I do not know HTML, Java, or any of those other foreign languages. But I want to start a website. This blog you are reading was simply set up through my Google account on Blogger. It was simple, but it is limited.

A website has to be simple. inviting, easy to understand and navigate, maintained. For me, setting it up has to be intuitive.

I am the type of person who will simply jump in and give it a try. With all the website creating websites there are surely there is one that this "I've never coded in my life" brain can handle. Drag and Drop. Click and Shoot.

WordPress came to the top of the list when I started looking. So I thought I would try it. I created a website based on the theme of "health and fitness over 50." My idea was to research topics of health and fitness issues and publish them on the site. I would also share my own experiences of health issues (I am over 50).

I created the site, put in some photos, wrote a little, tried to format it. It seemed pretty easy. The advice I received from more than one person is to create the site, live with it a little, make it what you want, and then make it public. Somehow, and I do not know how, I made my site public.

Without any advertising, search engine optimization, or promotion of any type, I have had four visitors and seven views. I think that means those four people went to different pages. Wow, if I tried a little I could get 40 visitors and if a few of them shared it I could get that up to 400.

I was told about a website that helps people learn WordPress: Learn Wordpress

Someone mentioned Wix as a good host for a website. They make it easy and intuitive. So I went there. I was so confused I went on YouTube and look at a couple of videos. Found one that actually gave good information. I started a different website, I figured the more I did and worked with different hosts the more I would learn. This time I did not publish it. When it is ready I will, if I can get it to do what I want.

Here is the YouTube I watched:  How to use Wix

That is all I know so far. I am going to the library to see what books there are that can help. In the meantime, here are a few book available that I have looked at. Use them as a reference and take what helps you.


No comments:

Post a Comment